Monday, February 23, 2009

Intro

My name is James Whisman (Jimmy). I have been training strongman for a few years now and I am currently preparing for the Georgia's Strongest Man contest. I thought I would start a blog about my contest prep to show what the sport of strongman is about. The contest is in June, so I have about 20 weeks to prepare. The show date has been posted but the specific events have not been posted yet so I am training on a general program now that I will make more contest specific once the events are posted at http://nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/.

Right now I am doing 4 week mini-cycles that follow this pattern:

Week 1
85% 1RM for 4-5 reps
Week 2
90% 1RM for 3-4 reps
Week 3
95% 1 RM for 2-3 reps
Week 4
100% 1RM for 2 reps -- I use a rep conversion chart to predict what the new 1RM will be and start the cycle over.

I have been following this workout for about 4 months and have had some great gains with it.

I have entered this contest 2 times before placing 3rd in 2006 and 2nd in 2007. I decided to take some time off from competing in 2008, but and really ready to begin competing again. I hope you'll join me as I prepare. I'll be heading to the gym in a couple hours to start today's training. I am actually starting week 4 of the cycle right now. I had a great week 3 so I am hoping for big numbers this week.





sports, strongman, strength, exercise, powerlifting, power, lifting, weight, weights, olympic, games, deadlift, dead, lift, pull, over head, front squat, back squat, squat, skwats, bench, press, clean, jerk, clean and jerk, clean and press, snatch, grip, strong, stronger, peaking, cycle, max, 1RM, log, tire, flip, atlas, stone, yoke, axel, conan's, wheel, conditioning, building, muscle, yoga, flexibility, stretching, PNF, supplements, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin Store, protein, diet, anabolic, steroids, testosterone, booster, test booster, football, season, plates, bumper plates, bumpers, kettle bell, kettlebell, dumbbell, dumb bell, whisman, jimmy whisman, james whisman, vitamins, equipment, explosiveness, plyometrics, stretch shortening cycle, velocity, speed, quickness, reaction, agility, pro-agility, pro-a, drills, skip, a-skip, dorisflex, fatigue, soreness, abs, core, dynamic, carioca, health, fitness, wellness, loss, body fat, muscle, mass, hypertrophy, shape, flex, Curves, model, figure, competitor, bodybuilding, female bodybuilding, bikini, swim suit, tan, posing, body building, big, USAPL, USAWL, IPF, NAPF, SPF, USPF, APA, WPC, World Strongman Federation Competition , NASS, North American Strongman Society inc. IFSA, WNBF, IFBB, NANBF, personal trainer, NSCA, ACE, ACSM, WITS, NASM, AFAA, ISSA, AFTA, NCSF, NPTI, IART, NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS, EA

No comments:

Post a Comment