Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2009 Putnam County Fair Strongest Man

The 2009 Putnam County Strongman was held Sunday at 5pm (central) at the Putnam County Fair Grounds. This competition held a lot of firsts for me. It was my first evening competition, it was my first 7 event competition and I had never done 3 of the events.

Click here for video

Event #1 Caber Toss
This is one of the events I had never done. It felt a little awkward and both of my throws went off to the left. My best throw as 31' 6" which was good enough for 4th place. I have begun looking for a log I can use to practice this event.

Event #2 Weight for Height
Another event I have never done. I have done KB swings before, but have never thrown the weight. I cleared 14' 6". My second attempt 15' throw had the height, but hit the bar on the way down. Got 2nd place in this event.

Event #3 Log Clean & Press
For this event they used a real wood log that had been soaked in water for 2-3 days. It was smaller around then my 12in log and the ground wasn't flat but I had no trouble with it. Repped out 10 for 1st place.

Event #4 Farmers Walk
225 lb tanks for 30 ft. I finished in 4.13 sec for 1st place

Event #5 Truck DeadLift for Max Weight
They had a real nice rig custom made for this event. The handles were set real low which added a level of difficulty. Every one would lift the truck then they would add a person to the bed of the truck. I finished with three people in the bed of the truck (600 lbs) for 1st place

Event #6 Stone Loading
These were field stones placed 15-20 feet from the platform. In some ways they were easier then atlas stones and some ways they were harder. I finished the 4 stones in 23.10 sec for 1st place.

Event #7 Truck Pull
My hips and low back were pretty shot at this point and I have never done this event. I finished in 36 sec for 4th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment